Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Personal Reflections for the New Year

Can you believe 2015 is almost behind us? WHERE did the time fly? I feel like it was just yesterday that my husband and I were confirming our plans for New Year's Eve and now here we are again. I don't know about you, but 2015 was a big year for me. Some of the biggest highlights include:

  1. Finishing writing and publishing my newest book, MEANT TO BE. Now this was no easy task to complete. It took more time and energy than I could have imagined from writing every word to designing the cover, formatting the book and getting it all just right for publication. Wow! I learned so much in the process as I'd never done a lot of these things before. I decided to self-publish through my own publishing company called 10-Q Publishing. With this second book of mine, I can honestly call myself a publisher now as I did it all and am very proud of my accomplishments. Are you thinking of writing a book? Not sure how or where to even begin? Maybe I can help you. 
  2. Celebrated my 50th birthday at the Friars Club in New York City watching my husband up on stage in the Frank Sinatra room performing his special brand of comedy magic to a great crowd. I was so proud of him as he made history that night as the first Canadian Comedy Magician to ever perform at the Friars Club. How cool is that?
  3. Did a big Book Launch and Presentation of my book, MEANT TO BE. Got a full room standing ovation and the best part was my father, age 93, was in the audience looking up at me. So now I have accomplished 2 goals. I wanted to publish the book in his lifetime and have him be in the front row at the big launch event and presentation. Yes, it feels good.
  4. Gave my MEANT TO BE presentation for my first group of high school students and loved the experience so much that I am looking to tour high schools with my presentation across North America as the feedback from the students was so positive and inspiring. Had no idea that speaking to high school students would ever be on my radar. What an exciting adventure this is to know that my book and story can touch the lives of students especially those in Grade 10 who are the same age my mother was when she was taken by the Nazis at 15.
  5. I also gave my presentation at my first Church. That too was extremely rewarding as the presentation was so well received and also unexpected. Here's how it came about...  
As the story of the book is about my parents' remarkable lives with my mother a Holocaust survivor in Nazi Europe and my father a survivor of the Nagasaki atomic bomb as a POW in Japan and both of the Jewish faith, one of the audience members at a business association I spoke for earlier in the year came up to me and asked if I would be comfortable to speak in a Church. I told him that I would absolutely be comfortable as long as his Church members want to hear the story. My parents' story is about survival and hope, faith and fortitude, courage and determination and transcends any specific religious faith. It is not just about history or spirituality but about humanity so it was my absolute pleasure to accept his invitation. I am looking to speak at many more Churches in the future.

So as you can see I've been super busy with so many firsts, so many new interests, so many new goals. It's been a lot of work and I've made a lot of sacrifices along the way, but I have no regrets.

Before you look back at the year and start thinking about all the things you didn't accomplish, I ask that you take a deep breath and a step back and reflect on all the good things that happened this past year... What did you achieve? What special memories did you create? What joys did you experience? What were your highlights whether professionally or personally? Do you want to share them? I'd love to hear about it so I invite you to share here in a comment or send me an email roslyn@roslynfranken.com. It's too easy to get negative about what could have been so shake all that off and focus on the positive, what is and now take another step back and give thought to what you'd like to see happen in 2016. And then.... just enjoy the ride and keep focused and open to possibilities.

Wishing you the very best for a very healthy, happy and prosperous New Year.

Warmest regards,
Roslyn

2 comments:

Evelyn Budd said...

Congratulations on a great 2015! So thrilled that your dream of publishing the story of your parent's lives went so well and that your father was actually able to be at the launch. Your book/ebook also shows why you became the amazing person that you are. Best wishes to you, Elliott and your Dad for a wonderful 2016.

Roslyn Franken said...

Thanks so much for your kind words, Evelyn. Your continued support is greatly appreciated. Wishing you and your family all the best for a very HEALTHY, happy and successful 2016.

Inspiring teens in the Netherlands with my parents’ story of love and hope after surviving horrors of WWII

I recently travelled to the Netherlands where I was invited to give a series of four school presentations to hundreds of students age 14 – 1...