Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Simplified Fast & Easy Coconut Milk Curry Chicken & Veggies Recipe

Roslyn's Coconut Milk Curry Chicken & Veggies Recipe
I was planning a family dinner and wanted to make my favorite recipe for coconut milk curry chicken. It’s considered 'fast and easy', but it still  does require a number of separate steps. When people ask me where I find time to cook healthy meals from scratch, I need them to understand that since I am just as busy as they are, I am always looking for shortcuts to simplify otherwise more complicated recipes even ones that claim to be 'fast and easy'. So I asked myself how I could make my coconut milk curry chicken recipe even faster and easier by cutting out some of the steps.

I’ll direct you to the actual recipe in just a moment, but want to first show you how I simplified the cooking instructions by being just a little imaginative:

The original recipe calls for sautéing the onion and garlic till golden brown which takes time and effort. You then have to cut up chicken thighs into bite size pieces which takes extra time and effort and then add the chicken to the onions and garlic and lightly brown on all sides which again takes extra time and attention. In the mean time you have your coconut curry sauce cooking in a separate pan. So now you have to dirty two pans.

So here’s what I did differently:

  1. I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs and did not cut them into pieces. I left them whole - FASTER & EASIER.
  2. Instead of dirtying a second pan to sauté the onions and garlic and brown the chicken pieces, I simply placed the chicken breasts in a glass rectangular baking dish which I lined with aluminum foil to make clean up faster and easier, too - FASTER & EASIER.
  3. Instead of sautéing the onions and garlic, I just sprinkled it all raw all across the chicken breasts - FASTER & EASIER.
  4. I then spooned the coconut milk curry sauce over the chicken breasts until they were just covered. I put a piece of foil on top to seal the dish and then baked it in the oven. So the only real preparation time is to heat the coconut milk and curry and then pour it over the chicken. VERY fast and easy. Doesn’t get simpler than this.
  5. As there was still a bit of sauce left in the pan, I cut up some carrots, sweet potato, red pepper and broccoli and cooked it in the remainder sauce on the stovetop on a low to medium heat while the chicken was baking in the oven. You can use whatever veggies you like. Just check on the veggies every so often to see if you might need to add a bit of water.
And voila, a delicious meal with very little preparation time and very little attention to cooking. I then cooked up some rice and served it with the veggies on top and the chicken breast on the side as per photo.

For detailed recipe, click HERE, where you’ll find some other of my fast and easy recipes. Please do let me know if you try this recipe and if you liked it. If you have any questions, please do let me know. And as always, please do share.

Wishing you a delicious meal!
Roslyn Franken
Speaker. Author. Coach.
http://www.roslynfranken.com

No comments:

Inspiring teens in the Netherlands with my parents’ story of love and hope after surviving horrors of WWII

I recently travelled to the Netherlands where I was invited to give a series of four school presentations to hundreds of students age 14 – 1...